Hammer Packaging was founded in 1912 in Rochester, NY by Herman J. Meyering as Genesee Valley Lithographic Company. The company was a regional supplier of labels to the fast growing agricultural industry in Western New York. In the mid-1940’s the name was changed to Hammer Lithograph when Walter Hammer took over the business.
Over the years, the company evolved by moving into new markets and expanding capabilities. As the company continued to grow, Walter’s son Ed Hammer assumed leadership. Vigorous sales growth in the food and beverage markets necessitated a move in 1972 to a new manufacturing facility called Metro Park which made room for new equipment and increased manpower.
During the 26 years at Metro Park, Ed’s son Jim Hammer took the lead and is still the President & CEO today. Also during this time, the name of the company was changed to Hammer Packaging to encompass the company’s expanded capabilities.
In July 1998, Hammer broke ground for a new 90,000 sq.ft. state-of-the-art facility on a 19-acre parcel of land adjacent to the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). The move provided more space for additional equipment and the growing workforce.
Hammer's new proximity to the globally recognized School of Print Media at RIT facilitated an educational exchange program for Hammer associates and also brought about a new partnership for research and development.
In 2012, Hammer completed an expansion of the corporate headquarters.
Today, Hammer Packaging continues to thrive as an industry leader, consistently named one of the Top-100 privately-held companies in Rochester, and continually rising among the Top-400 printers in North America. With the right people, outstanding service, and leading-edge technology, The Hammer team is more committed than ever to leading, not following, the packaging printing industry.